In Turkey I used to love these little cheese rolls – filo pastry rolled up like little cigars with (I think) sheep’s cheese and herbs. The sheep’s cheese had a similar salty tartness to feta. Here’s my veganized pie version
I used a 30cm rectangular @falconenamel dish as they’re my favourite oven to table dishes.
600g Silken tofu (I used fresh tofu from the chiller but you can use any)
4tbsp Nutritional yeast
Huge pinch smoked Maldon salt
Huge pinch Maldon sea salt
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp dried dill
Bunch flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
Small bunch mint, finely chopped
Zest & juice of 2 lemons
Filo pastry sheets (I bought a large package and have made 3 pies so far and still have more pastry left over)
Black & white sesame seeds
- Wrap your tofu in a tea towel and weigh it down (I use a cast iron trivet and a heavy pestle & mortar).
- Mix crushed garlic, nooch, salts,herbs, lemon zest and juice. Season generously with black pepper.
- Crumble tofu into garlicky mixture & add spinach.
- Grease your tin with melted vegan butter and add your first sheet of filo. Repeat three times.
- Add half the tofu/spinach mixture and then layer in three more sheets of filo, buttering each layer as you go
- Add the remaining tofu mixture.
- Layer in three more sheets of filo, again buttering each layer with the melted vegan butter.
- Score the top of the pie into squares.
Sprinkle with seeds
- Bake in a moderate oven (I used gas mark 6 but 160-180 is probably great) for about 30 minutes until crispy and brown.
Drizzle with olive oil and serve